Piura

Piura

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

ADVENTURES, CONFERENCE, AND A NEW COMPANION

(EMAIL SENT APRIL 6, 2015)

Familia!

Hola ... and WOW another week has flown by! I really can't even believe it! Oh and Happy Easter!! I have a few superb facts of the week for all of you:

1. I will officially be wearing my classy glasses for the next month, and maybe a little bit longer. I got ANOTHER eye infection in my area. It might be because we shake a lot of hands every day and then touch our face OR, it might be the dust that is everywhere and my contacts just couldn't handle it. BUT overall, I will be beaming in all my pics with my glasses for the next little bit.

2. A normal day for me consists of many man saying hello, how are you, good night as we are walking down the street. It is pretty hilarious! But the other day, as we were walking down the street, a man said KETCHUP, KETCHUP! I just about died! That's a new one!

So watching General Conference was a crazy adventure for us in my area. We watched it in our Stake Center and I started by watching it in Spanish. The truth is I really couldn't understand it too great, BUT, I loved trying my best and taking what I could out of the talks. We later tried to watch the other sessions in English but it didn't work out too well. So we went back to watching it in Spanish with everyone. And then in the second session of General Conference, the computer broke down and the sessions kept breaking up. Overall, we didn't get to see that much of conference. But I am just going to print out some talks and then wait for the Ensign that they will give us in the next month about the talks! Ha, but I hope you all enjoyed it and felt the incredible spirit that was present! I really only saw the first session, but it was such a testimony to me that this church is true! 

We had transfers, and I will be staying in my same area. I have a new COMP!!! Her name is Hna. Ore and she is from Lima. She looks like a fairy and is just sweet as can be. She only has about 4 and a half months in the mish, so we are both kind of newbies. But we are excited to get to work in Algarrobos! 

Right now we are working with a family with parents who are members and their sons who aren't members. Their sons are Marlo and Alberto, and I don't know if I have talked about them before, but they are so great! Marlo is about 20 years old and his brother 26. Alberto has a few things that he is struggling with, but really wants to change! He keeps on telling us that maybe in the future he will change, but we are trying to help him understand that he has the chance right now to be free from everything with the Atonement. We have a Family Home Evening with his family tonight and so I'll let you know how it went next week!

Also Miguel came back from his travels! We have lessons planned with him the next week. Oh and we found a new investigator, her name is Doris. She lives with her family and kids and we contacted her the other day in the street. She told us she always likes to listen about religions, but is very believing in her religion. But she has shown a lot of interest in our message! 

We had a great lesson with Percy this week. And guess what, his whole family brought in their chairs and sat down to listen to us too! It was a miracle. He is progressing a lot and said that he has a goal with his wife to plan their marriage. We hope he can come to church this next Sunday with his family!!

Also, you are all probably wondering, How's the Spanish Hermanita? Well, the people of Piura can officially understand me now. I still don't know too much, and struggle at times, but I can at least have a conversation when I need to and I can even crack jokes at times! I am getting along with the basics, and am just trying to expand my vocab right now. But it's a miracle how fast the language has come. I never thought I would be able to talk in this language, but I can do it now! It's a major blessing!

Overall, it's really hot, and I am excited to start a new transfer with Hna. Ore and see what our Heavenly Father has in store for us for the next 6 weeks!

I LOVE YOU ALL!! After the incredible conference we just had, I loved that they extended the invitation of after all we have heard and felt during the conference, what are we going to change? I truly felt that the talks and guidance given was inspired, and I am set on making a few changes in my life after listening to all the talks.

I know that our Prophet is a man called of God, and that he truly receives revelation for us. I know that this gospel is true, and that testimony was only reconfirmed with seeing our leaders of the church share their burning and powerful testimonies of this gospel! I love this work, and I cannot thank you all enough for your support!

Until the next week,

Keep on keeping on!


XOXO - Hna. Shumway

No comments:

Post a Comment