Piura

Piura

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

CHICKEN FEET, MY FIRST BAPTISM, AND SERVING IN THE SUN

This week I thought I would start with some Gee Whiz Facts:

1. I saw chicken feet lying on the street the other day
2. I accidentally told someone I was sick in the mind, meaning to tell them I was feeling sick (woops!)
3. One of our investigators thought that Dia de Reposo (Day of Rest - Sunday) was our P-day
4. I love Piura!

So to start … WE HAD A BAPTISM!!! It was our sweet investigator Jorge! My first baptism and it honestly was absolutely perfect. He was so nervous, but after the baptism he just had so much peace and couldn't stop smiling. We are so thrilled for him. I sent you some pics of that day!

To answer your questions from the past few weeks, we have two investigator families and about four other investigators. We actually had a miracle this last week with one investigator family. So as you know, we are teaching English classes and a family that we contacted in the street a few weeks back has been attending the class every week. But you have to know that this family is not taking lessons about the gospel because they said they are strong Catholics and don’t want anything to do with another religion ... only English classes. So this past Sunday, during a typical Sacrament Meeting, as we are singing a hymn, this family … AMAZINGLY … walks into the chapel and come and sit down by us. It was INCREDIBLE! They said that is was just because their daughter wanted to be with her friends (who are members) and that they would only stay for a little bit. They ended up staying for all the classes AND in Relief Society the Mom offered to bring two milks to our Ward Christmas Devotional. It was so CRAZY!!! We did not think they would ever listen to our message, let alone come to church, but we have a cita with them today (teaching the Restoration) and they can't wait to come to church the next week. It is a miracle! So they are a new investigator family. 

Also, this past week, my comp was so sick and literally could not talk ... which meant I had to teach all the lessons! It was a week I will always remember and amazingly I was able to do it! I have no idea if the people understood anything I was saying, but hey, it was a great experience!!

The sad news of this week  is that I am a RED TOMATO. Literally. Yesterday, the reason I couldn't write is because we had a service project in the morning. My comp and I had no idea what we were doing and, assuming we were going to clean the capilla, we didn't wear sunscreen. SUCH A BAD IDEA. We ended up cleaning an entire street that had so much trash for five hours in the SUN! Mom and Dad, I am going to have cancer when I’m older. I always wear sunscreen, but this day of course I didn't think to wear it. But have no fear, we pray for our skin in every companionship prayer and we will be A-Okay in about a week. But oh my heavens, I wish they had told us that we would be outside for five hours. All of the missionaries are SO RED right now! But it's all good!

Overall, I am doing so great and my Spanish is coming along! Like I said, it is really hard to be away from home right now. But, it has been such a blessing to focus so much more on my Savior, and share his incredible story every day. We have seen incredible things happen and so many more people that are willing to listen! I love being a missionary and I feel so blessed to have so much support from all of you!!! Have the greatest Christmas and remember what should be our main focus. The birth of our Savior was the greatest gift to the world, and I cannot tell you how grateful I am for that gift! I love this gospel, I love all of you ... so keep being incredible and do what's right!

XOXO – Hermana Shumway


Our Christmas Tree complete with decorations we made ... THANKS FAMILY ... WE LOVE IT!

My companion, Jorge's Mom, Jorge, Jorge's Dad and me ... BEST DAY E-V-A-H!

Some more pictures of the yummy food here in Piura



The day I became a red tomato





No comments:

Post a Comment