Piura

Piura

Monday, September 21, 2015

CHALLENGES, NEW AMIGOS, AND MAKING COOKIES

Familia,

So I have some sad news. My sweet comp got transferred this last week. It was not expected and it kind of blew us away when we found out it was happening. Hermana Bryce got transferred to the area of Ficus and is going to finish her training there. To be honest it was a major blow. I would have loved to train her all the way until the end because any trainer would love that, right? But everything happens for a reason. She has been having many health problems so it actually will be good for her to be closer to the clinic instead of having to travel by bus all the time. The poor thing suffered a lot and it was hard ending my training so fast. But the mission more than anything else has taught me that everything happens for a reason. And I just have to trust in that.

So you are probably all asking now, “Who is your comp?” Well ... I officially do not have a comp for now. I am with a mini missionary that is a member from Paita. She is going to be my pal for the next bit and she is just the sweetest thing. She is 18 years old and has been a convert since January. Her name is Lucero. Pretty much she is one of the strongest people I have ever met and has passed through many trials to get to where she is at … and I just know she is going to be such a strength to this area.

But this last week was really great! We made a few new little kid friends … hahaha … and man can I just say that they make this missionary job so fun! They all scream the names of Hermana Bryce and I as we walk down the street and we hand out the stickers we brought from the states (thank you mom and the mom of Hermana Bryce!). I sent a few pics of our new friends and a video of my pal Jesus. He is one of my favorite pals that CAME TO CHURCH ON SUNDAY. He isn’t a member but his cousins are, and they invited him! 

Also, this last Sunday we went all out to bring the less-actives to church. They have not been coming and so we scheduled a way to go and pick five less actives up and an investigator. Three of the less-actives came, Jesus (my amigo from the video), our little amigo that is about five years old who just randomly came, and overall it was just the greatest! We are hoping this next week to do the same and hopefully we will get our sweet chapel filled. WE CAN DO IT!!

This last week Leandro received the priesthood too! And gave the closing prayer in the sacrament meeting. He is going to receive a calling soon and it has just been so incredible seeing him progress so much. He even taught a part of the class Sunday in our Principles of the Gospel class! And we constantly have Family Night with him and his soon-to-be family. They are so excited for their marriage in October too! Sorry that was a kajillion different things in one second but he is going to do incredible things in the church.

Our status with investigators right now is like a rollercoaster (I don’t even remember how to spell that word. We find amazing investigators and then they end up not progressing, but then we find new investigators and it just keeps going up and down! It can be frustrating at times but we just rely on the next miracle waiting around the corner … and we just keep on moving on. But a major blessing that we saw this last week was when we found an investigator without trying to. We went to a house looking for a less-active member and we found her mom Marybelle. She has never listened to the missionaries but has gone to church a few times. Hermana Rose, a member that was with us that day, is her friend and asked if we could share a message with her. She invited us in and we got to know her a little bit. Then we asked her cute little son (we call him Amigo (the pic with the kid that is shirtless with stickers on our head) who could say the opening prayer because he wanted to choose. He picked his mom … she started to pray and then just burst into tears as she was praying. She could hardly say anything and when she finished she poured out her heart to us. She and her daughter have been struggling A LOT recently and she needed us that day. We shared with her about the power of faith in her Heavenly Father and his plan and scheduled another visit. Now we have had a few lessons and she is PROGRESSING. Still is a little nervous to listen to us but she said she has just felt so much peace lately. But for me it is incredible how our Heavenly Father guides us to those that are prepared to hear this message. It was not our intention to find her and whether or not she keeps on progressing, it was an unplanned miracle. #MissionMiracles

Also, remember how I said we are trying to reactivate the youth of this area? We are doing it!!! It is just a few for now but they are coming! Last night my comp and I had a Noche de Hogar (FHE) planned with a group of the single adults from the branch. My comp ended up sticking with a member and packing and I taught the lesson with another member. It went so well! We taught about the Restoration and saw a video about it. They all opened up so quickly in the lesson and by the end of the night it was a real hit! For me it was crazy to think that I can teach a FHE lesson in Spanish too! One year ago I would have never thought that was possible but now I can do it! The Gift of Tongues is so real and I just love being a missionary and preaching the gospel in Spanish.

I honestly am trying to remember what else happened this week but I can’t remember anything else. But it was a great week! It is going to be hard without my last comp, we were finding so many wonderful people, and just excited to strengthen this sweet town of Chulucanas … but it will be good with my mini missionary.

As I was reading my scriptures this week I found one that just caught my eye and I have to share it with you:

Jacob 4:7
Nevertheless, the Lord God showeth us our weakness that we may know that it is by his grace, and his great condescensions unto the children of men, that we have power to do these things.

Love that! I know the scriptures are such a powerful tool that we have in our hands in this time. I love reading these sacred books and I know it is true!

Love you all to the moon and back! Have an incredible week! And CTR!!!

Xoxo, Hermana Shumway


We made cookies with Hermana Rasmussen ... the President’s wife!!!

Our new little amigo - we love this kid!

We ate ice cream our last day together as missionaries of Chulucanas. A member owns the shop!!!

The chickens were just chillin' with us during a lesson 

Me and this girl will be going home together! She is my Hermana Leader of the mission. We had a one day transfer together.

Eating lunch with our District

Leandro looking great in his SHIRT with Andrea and Aixa - I LOVE THEM!!!

Hermana Bryce and Eva Aguilar with me

Me and Eva Aguilar

Pineapple CREMOLADA - soooooo good

Our Branch Mission Leader - THIS GUY IS A CHAMP!

I taught FHE all by myself while my comp packed (of course with a member as my comp). It was with the single adults of our branch ... it was so fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment